Sunburst Theme to brighten your decor
I am realizing the utility of keyholders and I enjoy welding them. They are usually simple and not very big so they would be a lower priced item in my collection. The key holder featured here is a sunburst made from a hemispherical pipe cap and square cut nails braze welded together using bronze filler rod. The nbronze joints add some interesting contrast to the grey steel. I took it a little further and decided to accentuate it a bit.
First I coated the wire brushed sculpture with Krylon Crystal Clear Flat. This will help seal the bare metal surface from oxidation while providing a dull matt surface to paint on. What I was going for was an warm orange hued bronze color affect on the sun. I also decided to even out the color of the grey steel with darkened silver paint. For the accent paints, I used water based acrylic metallic paints. I used the dry brushing technique to apply layers of the metallic paint to minimize brush strokes and to quicken dry time between coats. I first applied a little copper colored paint to the sun to brighten it. Afterwards, I mixed some copper with bright gold to get a bronze color. This went over the copper color and it created much depth. This was especially true after I covered the whole thing with Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss. As you can see from the photo, it really came alive. This sunburst kep holder is listed in my Etsy shop.
- Clear Coats For Paint Jobs (jtbmetaldesigns.wordpress.com)
- My DIY Sunburst Card Display (uniquescreen.wordpress.com)
- Finished 3D Geometric Sculptures (jtbmetaldesigns.wordpress.com)
- A Post Modern “Perspective” (jtbmetaldesigns.wordpress.com)
- 3 Colorful, Beyond-easy DIYs for Your Work Space (modcloth.com)
- Upcycled Metal Art (jtbmetaldesigns.wordpress.com)
- Krylon X metals and Duplicolor Metalcast (jtbmetaldesigns.wordpress.com)
- Mica powders in arts and crafts (jtbmetaldesigns.wordpress.com)
- Sunburst and your Special (justimaginecrafts.typepad.com)
- DIY Sunburst Mirror Wreath (ext.homedepot.com)