Simple Yet Elegant Lines
In my latest work, I wanted to return to making candle holders. Especially with the holidays drawing nearer. I wanted to do sconces that held the larger candles like the Yankee candle product line. After some thought and considering influences I had from furniture and architexture, I came up with a simple yet elegant design. Right angles, geometric form, and a smooth satin oil rubbed bronze finish.
The Materials I Started With
Well every work of art needs to start from some raw materials. What was special about this project is that I requested the metal be precut to the dimensions I needed to save time. The steel supplier I frequent has various cutting tools to cut the stock material. They have a shear press, band saw, cutting torch and CNC plasma table. I already had the dimensions ready so I had them cut the materials necessary plus extra just in case. All were made from 16 gauge hot rolled steel sheet. The pieces were 4 X 2″by 24″; 4 X 6″by 6″, and 4 X 6″ by 24″ rectangles. The two inch wide rectangles were formed around a mandrel made from schedule 40 pipe that is 4 inches in diameter. The second photo to the right shows one of the 2 inch sections wrapped into a cylinder with the ends tack welded together.
- Almost No Words Can Describe This Hilarious Video of a Man ‘Sniff Testing’ Yankee Candle’s New Line of ‘Man Candles’ – Just Watch (theblaze.com)
- Yankee Candle’s Thanksgiving Dinner Collection Includes ‘Turkey & Stuffing’ Scent (shefinds.com)
- Yankee Candle Fundraiser (roxyhazard.wordpress.com)
- New styles of sconces offer enlightening possibilities (readingeagle.com)
- Modern Wall Sconces – Modern Designer Lighting (modernwalllight.wordpress.com)